6 months ago today, Cai Wei met her forever family for the very first time.
It's a day that is forever etched into my memory.
I walked into the playroom, and told my soon-to-be littlest sister that her mama and baba were here! They had come to meet her! She understood exactly what I was saying, and grabbed my hand and ran to the big window that looked out of the playroom. I lifted her up, and I'll never forget the way she pressed her nose and hands against the glass of that window...straining to catch her first glimpse of her Mama.
I'll admit, I was a little worried with how Brooke would respond to meeting my family...now her family as well...as she is very wary around strangers and was very attached to her nanny. I shouldn't have worried. Those first moments together, introducing Brooke to her forever mama and baba and her new sisters, could not have been more perfect or more special.
I'll never forget the look of joy and the happy tears on my mom's face as she saw Brooke for the first time through the window of the playroom. I'll never forget the way that Erica literally could not get into the room fast enough to touch her little sister's foot and hand, and just repeat to herself over and over "I can't believe she is really here! I'm a big sister now! I'm your big sister, Cai Wei! I love you so much!"
The beauty of that moment was so powerful...as I introduced Brooke to her mama and sisters, telling them we all loved her so very much, my voice caught as I realized that this was real. Brooke was coming home and would be a part of our family, my little sister, forever. My mom held out her arms to Cai Wei, to hold her baby girl for the first time, and I held my breath...waiting to see how Brooke would respond. To both of our utter delights, Brooke leaned out of my arms and went to my mom, saying "Mama", and let my mom snuggle and kiss her to her heart's content. It was in that moment that everything shifted, and Cai Wei was no longer just "my" baby that I had fallen in love with the previous summer. She was now a daughter and a sister, held by tightly by her mama, a treasured member of a family forever.
Baba then got a chance to hold his precious girl, and fell in love immediately as he heard her first giggles. She already had him wrapped around her little finger before he even met her, and seeing her there for the first time just confirmed it. She was a Daddy's girl, through and through. Erica and Allison were both so excited to be meeting Brooke in real life. It's amazing how you can fall so in love with a child through pictures and stories, and then meeting them in real life almost seems surreal. Erica was so gentle, so sweet. She reveled in every moment of her new-found "big sisterhood", holding Brooke's hand, feeding her snacks, etc.
It was a moment of joy, one that I will always look back on in complete amazement. It was truly a "Meet-ya Day" experience like none other. We can't believe it's been 6 months...Brooke has come so far and is truly a hoot in every sense of the word.
- She STILL has her Baba (Daddy) completely wrapped around her finger. Completely.
- She loves visiting "Ca-yege" (college) to see Allison and I...she gets more attention than I think is possible.
- Brooke turned THREE! There's a post with pictures coming...but she was so excited to finally be three that she sang "Happy Birthday" to herself all.day.long. All day. She also called the day "My day...Cai Wei's Happy Birthday day".
- She is little miss bossy...making sure everyone stays in line and knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing. She will bust out in a 5 minute long monologue, of which we understand NOTHING...except the "Okay???" at the end.
- Her English is incredible. She is putting together full sentences and understands every single thing you say. My favorite is when she says "What is dat?" over and over again.
- She started gymnastics! She LOVES "nastics-days!" and is always very excited about the "bouncy-bounce" (trampoline)
- She is obsessed with Panda Express, and if she sees the restaurant, she will yell PANDA...NOODLES at the top of her lungs. You can take the girl out of China, but you can't take the China out of the girl.
- She and Erica have truly become best friends. It is precious to see the two of them together, running around having the time of their lives.
More updates and pictures coming...we have been terrible about keeping this updated. Thank you for your continued prayers for her heart and her overall adjustment to our family. She is doing incredibly well...to God be the glory!
Hugs from all the Toerings- Meredith
|Picnics are the best :)|
|She LOVES the fish at Walmart!|